Carbon Monoxide Test

Carbon Monoxide Test

In light of 2 more deaths recently in Northern Ireland, apparently caused by carbon monoxide poisoning, I can’t stress enough the importance of regular inspection and testing of gas appliances in caravans and motorhomes.

Every year we hear of more fatal situations as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning, situations that can be easily avoided. There are many good and reasonably priced carbon monoxide alarms on the market, available at many retail outlets for a similar cost to a few drinks at the local pub.

Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas that has no smell or taste. Breathing it in can make you unwell, and it can kill.

Sometimes referred to as the “silent killer”. Every year in the UK, over 200 people go to hospital with suspected carbon monoxide poisoning, which leads to around 50 deaths.

A headache is the most common symptom of mild carbon monoxide poisoning. Other symptoms include:

  • dizziness
  • nausea (feeling sick) and vomiting
  • tiredness and confusion
  • stomach pain
  • shortness of breath and difficulty breathing

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can be similar to those of food poisoning and the flu. However, unlike flu, carbon monoxide poisoning does not cause a high temperature (fever).

Carbon monoxide is difficult to detect because it has no smell, taste or colour. This means you can inhale it without realising.

Carbon monoxide is produced when fuels such as gas, oil, coal or wood do not burn fully. When a fire burns in an enclosed space, such as a room, the oxygen is gradually used up and replaced with carbon dioxide. The fuel is unable to burn fully and releases carbon monoxide.

After breathing in carbon monoxide, it enters your bloodstream and mixes with haemoglobin (the part of red blood cells that carry oxygen around your body), to form carboxyhaemoglobin.

When this happens, the blood is no longer able to carry oxygen, and this lack of oxygen causes the body’s cells and tissue to die.

What causes carbon monoxide to leak?

Incorrectly installed, poorly maintained or poorly ventilated appliances, such as cookers, heaters, boilers and gas fridges are the most common sources of carbon monoxide.

Blocked flues can also prevent carbon monoxide escaping, allowing it to reach dangerous levels.

The risk of poisoning can occur at any time, in any home, caravan or enclosed space.

Being aware of the signs

It’s very important to be aware of the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning and to look out for warning signs.

You should suspect carbon monoxide poisoning if:

  • Other people in your caravan or motorhome fall ill with similar symptoms
  • your symptoms disappear when you go outside in to an open space and return when you come back
  • your symptoms tend to be when you are using gas appliances in your caravan or motorhome
  • your pets also become ill

Other possible clues of a carbon monoxide leak include:

  • black, sooty marks on the front covers of gas fires
  • sooty marks on the walls around boilers, stoves or fires
  • yellow instead of blue flames coming from gas appliances

What to do if you suspect a leak

If several people in the same building develop flu-like symptoms without a temperature, you should:

  • immediately stop using all your cooking and heating appliances that use fuel other than electricity
  • open all of the windows in your caravan or motorhome
  • move away from the source of the carbon monoxide, eg, outside
  • call a caravan service engineer who has been trained on gas appliances
  • visit your GP as soon as possible

If you have a carbon monoxide leak, ask a suitably qualified engineer to inspect your cooking appliances, space heater, water heater and fridge to check they are safe.

Treating carbon monoxide poisoning

You will need oxygen therapy treatment in hospital if you have been exposed to a high level of carbon monoxide, or have symptoms that suggest exposure.

Oxygen therapy involves breathing in 100% oxygen through a tight-fitting mask (normal air contains about 21% oxygen). Breathing in concentrated oxygen enables your body to quickly replace carboxyhaemoglobin.

The time it takes to recover depends on how much you have been exposed to and how long you have been exposed to it.

Around 10-15% of people who have severe or life-threatening carbon monoxide poisoning develop long-term complications, such as damage to the brain or heart.

Risk groups

Carbon monoxide is a danger to everyone, but certain groups are more vulnerable. These include:

  • babies and young children
  • pregnant women
  • people with chronic heart disease
  • people with respiratory problems, such as asthma

Preventing carbon monoxide poisoning

The best way of protecting you and your family is to be aware of the dangers and identify any appliances in your house that could potentially leak carbon monoxide.

You should install a carbon monoxide alarm, as this will detect a leak and give out a high-pitched noise when gas levels are high. They are available from DIY and hardware stores. However, alarms are not a substitute for maintaining and regularly servicing gas appliances.

Like This Post? Please Share!

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp

More Posts You Might Like...